rich minds, rich rewards
Leave It Behind!
CBN.com There is no point in building a vision on a foundation muddied with unfinished business, unresolved issues, hurts and regrets, because the vision will not be fully realized. Now is the best time to let go of any attitude, project, relationship, or issue that weighs you down or impedes your progress toward a more purposeful and joyful life.
In Philippians 3:13, the apostle Paul talks about "forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead." What things do you need to leave behind?
Make a list this week and choose not to carry certain things in 2010. Here are a few examples to get you started:
- Projects and activities that you are not passionate about. You don't have time to spend on things that really don't matter to you anymore!
- "Friendships" that drain your energy, are not reciprocal, or are just plain abusive or inappropriate. Love and respect others, and expect to be loved and respected in return. Accept nothing less.
- "Wishing" and "regretting". They do nothing to help you build a better future and leave you feeling powerless to change your life.
- Grudges and unforgiveness. They keep you stuck in the past and drain you mentally, spiritually, and over time, can even make you physically sick.
- A broken heart. Choose to let go of what was, learn from the experience, and start focusing on a vision for your future!
- Failures and mistakes. Don't wallow in them. Learn from them.
- Superficial status symbols. Is it possible you need to let go of something that makes you feel more important – a job title, a certain relationship, a material possession you can no longer afford – so that you can pursue a more purposeful path?
- Negative attitude. Make a decision not to rain on your own parade. Stop embracing the reasons you cannot have the life you want and start embracing the reasons you CAN have that life.
- Procrastination! Either get started, let the project go, or change the goal to something more manageable. Don't burden yourself by dragging this old habit into the new year.
These are just a few examples. Create your own personal list so that your foundation for 2010 isn't cracked by negative influences, attitudes, or habits.
Then choose to leave these things in your past. It is an act of faith. We hold onto the old because we are afraid to let go. Pray for the wisdom to identify what you need to let go of and for the courage to actually let it go. You will be delighted to see how God answers your prayer!
My challenge to you this week:
Prayerfully make a list of what you will let go of. Over the next week, take the steps necessary to begin the year with a slate clear of whatever you've been holding on to. Whether it is a simple decision, a phone call you need to make, or a conversation you need to have, get the ball rolling!
What is most difficult for you to let go of? What will it take for you to let go and move forward?
A sought-after life coach and speaker, Valorie Burton seeks to inspire people to live more fulfilling, less stressful lives. She is the author of Listen to Your Life, What’s Really Holding You Back?, Rich Minds, Rich Rewards, Why Not You? 28 Days to Authentic Confidence, and How Did I Get So Busy?.
CBN IS HERE FOR YOU!
Are you seeking answers in life? Are you hurting?
Are you facing a difficult situation?
A caring friend will be there to pray with you in your time of need.